Studying for the MBLEx
The current pass rate for first time MBLEx takers is at 73.9%, which isn’t terrible but that means 33.3% of people are failing. Before beginning the exam, you should know what it is your studying for. The current fee for the MBLEx is $195. You do not get a discount for retaking the exam so it’s best to prepare as best as you can. The exam is 100 questions and you are given two hours (120 minutes) to complete the exam. In 2018, there was some changes made to the content of the exam.
Exam Content is now as follows:
- Anatomy & Physiology: 11%
- Kinesiology: 12%
- Pathology, Contraindications, Areas of Caution, Special Populations: 14%
- Benefits and Physiological Effects of Techniques that Manipulate Soft Tissue: 15%
- Client Assessment, Reassessment & Treatment Planning: 17%
- Ethics, Boundaries, Laws, & Regulations: 16%
- Guidelines for Professional Practice: 15%
Tips to Prepare for the MBLEx
- Take practice exams and quizzes, use flashcards and study guides
- Make time to study even if it’s only an hour a day. The worst thing you can do is have to cram all that information in your head in one day.
- Review your wrong answers, find out the correct answer, and find out why that is the correct answer
- Don’t drink too much liquids. You do not want to spend any of your allotted 120 minutes in the bathroom.
- Do what works for you.
- Get enough sleep. You can’t focus on the test if you are half asleep
- Make sure you have everything you need the night before. If you need pencils, a calculator, your ID, etc., you want to have it in a safe place, not scrambling around all morning looking for it.
- Make sure you leave your house early. You do not want to arrive last and upset everyone else waiting for you and you definitely do not want to show up and not able to take the test you already paid for.
- Identify your weak spots: If Kinesiology isn’t your strong point, spend more time prepping for that topics. Do not neglect your strong points, though.
On this free site, you can access a MBLEx study guide, along with flashcards and a practice quiz to help you prepare for your exam.
On this free site, UGO Prep offers free classes online. They offer classes such as Anatomy, Kinesiology, Pathology, and Ethics. In each class, you will have access to studying the topic, focused learning, practice questions, videos, written articles, and access information on the MBLEx test.
This site is not a free resource, but it does offer a 15-question practice test before you purchase anything. This site offers thousands of practice questions, 90+ test prep video lessons, and an in-depth MBLEx study guide.
Are you a member of the AMTA? If so, they offer a free online study guide that provides you with practice exams and study resources. This includes all the topics that will be covered in the MBLEx.
Books to Study From
Check out these books on Amazon that can help you study and prepare for your MBLEx.
This book has received 5 stars. The review section is flooded with nothing but great things to say in regards to this book.
This study guide has a 4-and-a-half-star rating and out of 72 customer reviews, 69% of them are 5 stars.
While this book has only received a 4-star review, most of the reviews were good and it’s a book definitely worth checking out to help you prepare.
MBLEx Study Guide
This book was published by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB). It has a breakdown of all of the content covered on the MBLEx, examples of content that will not be covered on the exam, a 100-question practice test, and tips for a successful exam.
MBLEx and Licensure FAQ. Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards.
MBLEx Practice Test. Mometrix Test Preparation.
Free MBLEx Classes Online. Ugo Prep
Prepare For Your MBLEx Exam- All in One Place. Study.com
AMTA Massage Exam Study Guide. American Massage Therapy Association.
The MBLEx Exam – Questions and Answers. Massage Practice Exams
Hultquist, I. 7 Free Tips to Help You Pass The MBLEx. Massage Exam Academy.
7 MBLEx Study Strategies To Pass The Massage Exam. MBLEx Guide.
Top Tips for The Night Before, and the Morning of, an Exam. Bright Network.
2016. 7 Tips to Exam Test Prep the Morning of a Test. Albert.
Smyth, F. 2017. How to Maximize Pre-Exam Study. Studiosity.
MBLEx Test Prep 2018 & 2019 for the NEW Outline: MBLEx Study Guide 2018 & 2019 and Practice Test Questions for the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination. Amazon.
MBLEx Secrets Study Guide: MBLEx Exam Review for the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination. Amazon.
MBLEx Study Guide 2018-2019: MBLEx Test Prep and Practice Test Questions for the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam. Amazon.